Special: New and improved! Now with more arguments!
Editor's Note: We have updated the exclusives list since this article was first written. The latest update can be found here.
The summer doldrums are here, but we at Gaming Target plan to chase away the blues with a new update (and fresh analysis) of our listing of exclusive games for each of the new generation of consoles. In this update, we've expanded the listings to include publishers with each title, Metascores for games already released and release dates for games yet to come. Let's get right to it.
The rules of The Exclusive Arms Race are very simple:
1. These are ?console exclusives.? So, if a game appears on the PC and only one console, it is exclusive to that console. Also, because of the limitations of the DS, PSP and GBA, any game that appears on only one console and a handheld will be considered exclusive to that console.
2. Downloadable games and content packs will not be included. Downloadable games may be added in the future, but considering the number of ?exclusive? content pack deals flying around (i.e. Grand Theft Auto IV), the word doesn't end up meaning anything.
3. ?Next-Gen exclusives? will not be counted. So, we won't be counting games that appear on only one next-gen console but also on the PS2, Xbox or GC. So The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Burnout: Revenge and others are all out.
4. No ?fantasy games.? That means that these lists will only include games that have been formally announced by a publisher and have at least a working title. So that means games like ?Unannounced LucasArts/Day 1 Next-Gen Project? and ?Untitled Namco RPG? won't be included.
5. The list will focus mainly on games scheduled to release in North America. Import titles (including games released exclusively for one console only in Japan or Europe) will not be counted. Unreleased titles that are likely to come to America will be counted, but will be dropped from the list if a North American release date is not announced after the game is released in its home region.
1. While the list is still made up of "console exclusives," games that have been starred with an asterick (*) are titles that will also available on the PC. These games are then totaled up and displayed next to the total along with the percentage of the total these games take up.
2. We have also attempted to rank the exclusives by highlighting games in green that have earned an aggreagate score of 75 or better on MetaCritic. Again, the number and percentage of released games with a score of 75 or better is included next to the total.
3. We have also attempted to predict the future and all unreleased games that come from a "proven franchise" will also be highlighted in green and counted. A game is considered part of a proven franchise if the most recently released game in the series scored a 75 or better at MetaCritic.
3a. We will attempt to differentiate between main series games and spinoffs so, for example, Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be judged by Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII and Halo Wars will be considered a new part of the Halo franchise and will not be marked as "green."
And an Important Note to everyone who's requested we create a list for PC exclusives: A list of "PC exclusives" is not in the plans for the Exclusive Arms Race series anytime soon. The truth of the matter is that the shear number of PC exclusives released in the last two years by all of the major publishers, minor publishers, foreign companies, indie developers and the casual market would dwarf all three of these lists combined. Compiling such a list would be a major undertaking.
In addition, the PC is not included as a separate list for the purposes of this comparison because of the simple fact there are plenty of console-only gamers who do not own a powerful enough PC to game or who chose not to game on their PC in favor of playing video games solely on their television sets. Everyone that owns a next generation system can play all of the games included in these lists. Gamers with a PC capable of playing the latest games will always be in the minority. That is just the current reality of the game industry.
So with the rules established, here's what the current totals look like. And like any good Cold War, they are in bar graph form for that whole ?I have more missiles than you and it's the end of the world as we know it? feel:
For those that wish to track the changes from our previous lists, they can be found here:
With all that out of the way, here is the full list of exclusives for each console. While it may not be a complete list, the lists are accurate as of the day this article was published.
Xbox 360 (91 [+3])
*Also On PC (33 [36%])
"Green" MetaScore + Proven Franchises (33 [36%])
"Green" MetaScore (21 [47%])
|Amped 3||2K Games||72|
|Bomberman: Act Zero||Konami||34|
|Call of Duty 2*||Activision||90|
|Call of Juarez*||Ubisoft||71|
|Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars*||EA||82|
|Condemned: Criminal Origins*||Sega||81|
|Dance Dance Revolution Universe||Konami||75|
|Dead or Alive 4||Tecmo||85|
|Dead or Alive Xtreme 2||Tecmo||54|
|Earth Defense Force 2017||D3||69|
|Forza Motorsport 2||Microsoft||90|
|Fuzion Frenzy 2||Microsoft||48|
|Gears of War||Microsoft||94|
|Import Tuner Challenge||Ubisoft||53|
|Kameo: Elements of Power||Microsoft||79|
|Lost Planet: Extreme Condition*||Capcom||79|
|Over G Fighters||Ubisoft||49|
|Perfect Dark Zero||Microsoft||81|
|Project Gotham Racing 3||Microsoft||88|
|Ridge Racer 6||Namco Bandai||74|
|Rumble Roses XX||Konami||62|
|Star Trek: Legacy*||Bethesda||64|
|The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles*||Bethesda||86|
|The Lord of the Rings: The Battle For Middle-earth II*||EA||79|
|Top Spin 2*||2K Games||75|
|WarTech: Senko No Ronde||Ubisoft||54|
|Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged Volume 1||Microsoft||NA|
Proven Franchises (12 [26%])
|Ace Combat 6||Namco Bandai||2007|
|Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures*||TBA||2008|
|All Points Bulletin*||Webzen||2008|
|America's Army: True Soldiers *NEW*||Ubisoft||9/2007|
|Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of World War II||Ubisoft||8/2007|
|Culdcept Saga||Namco Bandai||10/2007|
|Dead or Alive Code: Cronus||Tecmo||TBA|
|Dungeon Hero* *NEW*||Gamecock||2009|
|Eternal Sonata||Namco Bandai||2007|
|Far East of Eden Ziria||TBA||TBA|
|FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage||TBA||2007|
|Hour of Victory||Midway||6/2007|
|Kengo: Legend of the 9 *NEW*||Majesco||Q4 2007|
|Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom||Microsoft||2007|
|Left 4 Dead*||Valve||11/2007|
|Marvel Universe Online*||Microsoft||TBA|
|Mobile Ops: The One Year War||Namco Bandai||2007|
|Naruto: Rise of a Ninja||Ubisoft||2007|
|Project Gotham Racing 4||Microsoft||2008|
|Project Sylpheed: Arc of Deception||Microsoft||7/2007|
|Sacred 2: Fallen Angel*||TBA||TBA|
|The Secret World*||TBA||TBA|
|Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction||Ubisoft||Q4 2007|
|Universe At War: Earth Assault*||Sega||2008|
The PlayStation 3 list, the Wii list and some final analysis can be found on the next page.