News: Bet you can't guess what #1 is.
Nintendo has very proudly announced that 30 million Wii systems have been sold in the United States. They also mention that they've reached this milestone after only 45 months, which is 15 months faster than the next fastest-selling console (which is the PlayStation 2, for those keeping score at home).
"More than any other video game system in history, Wii has expanded the world of video games to new audiences," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "This milestone is another reminder that people want fun games they can play with others ? all at a value-minded price."
To celebrate their sales milestone, Nintendo has also revealed the top ten bestselling Nintendo-published Wii games (as calculated by The NPD Group). Not surprisingly, the many adventures of Mario dominate the list:
1. Wii Play
2. Mario Kart Wii
3. Wii Fit
4. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
5. Wii Sports Resort
6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
7. Super Mario Galaxy
8. Wii Fit Plus
9. Mario Party 8
10. Link's Crossbow Training
It's important to note that this list does not include all of the copies of Wii Sports Resort
that have been bundled with the Wii system since May.
Nintendo also revealed the bestselling third party titles and, somewhat surprisingly, Mario games dominate this list as well:
1. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Activision)
2. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
3. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (LucasArts)
4. Carnival Games (2K Games)
5. Game Party (Midway)
6. EA Sports Active (EA Sports)
7. Just Dance (Ubisoft)
8. Rayman Raving Rabbids (Ubisoft)
9. Deca Sports (Hudson Entertainment)
10. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Sega)